Rendezvous with the “Gateway to the Northeast”


The curious side of me very often makes  me excited to explore an idea called INDIA much more …to witness the beauty of the country being unleashed before your eyes..Northeast of India has been one part of this subcontinent which I always wanted to explore. Last weekend , I got an opportunity to explore and visit Assam(the gateway to the Northeast) and Meghalaya.  As a kid I remember seeing the map of the country and trying hard to remember the capital city’s of these seven sisters of NE(I must admit though I could cram up all the ancient history books without saying “uff”..but i would never be able to remember the names of capitals of these states and would end up mixing them all!!!) Only capital city name which I could remember nicely out of these 7 states was that of  “Guwahati”…since then I wished to visit the place and after almost decades I indeed visited the city.Before leaving for Assam , I was having a faint idea about the place..i thought the city must be small  though green and slightly developed…..BUT…it was all a myth..The city in fact was really big, green and I would say by any standard nicely developed. Surrounded by the seven hills  and the mighty Brahmaputra, the city is so green(I would admit here that I myself is born and brought up in so called Green city-ranchi )but this city was so beautiful….its like cosmopolitan world coexisting with the pure green nature…a perfect example of what and how should the modern city be like.Where KFC’s coexist with dense forests, where traditions coexist with modernism!!!!The serene  beauty of the place was reflected in the nature of the lovely people who reside there…so innocent, so grounded..this can truly happen when you live with nature and not in conflict with it..My first visit in Guwahati was to the KAMAKHYA temple( a holy shrine for the Hindus) ...On my way to the Kamakhya , I could sense the spiritual beauty , that calmness and peace all over the place….The” REAL India “was in full bloom..where the “tantrics”, sadhus and the Indians and foreigners alike were flocking to the place out of that one faith …Real beauty of India lies in such instances where everything….diversity  of faith to the nth level intermingles and lives happily.. The temple visit was followed by a short trip to the “BARA PANNI”(Umiam Lake) some kilometers away from shillong.The drive from Guwahati city to BARA PANNI gave me an opportunity to witness another wonder of my country….hardly 5 kms enroute to Meghalaya from the Guwahati city ….a strange “ROAD MIX” exists..the left of the divider on road is Assam and right is Meghalaya!!!!!This strange mix persuaded me to see the ECONOMICS associated with it(in spite of the fact that I try hard not to mix economics with travelling…but that Eco thrill bugs me wherever I go)..the dynamics of economics was that thanks to that divider , there were array of wine shops on the side of Meghalaya(obviously relatively less taxation by the latter state govt is precussor to it…,,,these are instances when you feel (sorry for sounding like a economic bureaucrat) that govt should roll out GST as soon as possible… though Wine/alcohol would even then be on exemption list ..but this also hints indirectly at the fiscal federalism(independence of each state to have and earn its own share of revenue …Petrol pumps and price differences there on was another such instance….travelling through the muddy roads , I found large number of small industries thronging the route( and it was really nice to witness industrialization in such a landscape)…Rows of trucks loaded with coal on enroute from Meghalaya to Assam dragged me to think that no matter what.. natural resources from so far a region is really the catalyst for spurring the India story ..but  it also hinted at the fact that its high time we do think seriously about the alternative sources of energy. Those small wooden houses perched on top the hills amongst the trees and forests ,those little tiny tots playing football even on the hill top …the pristine beauty..that calmness…ahh ..it was a heavenly experience. (especially for people like me who is from the so called mainland of India with high density of population and where calmness ,peace and natural beauty are things of the past)….On reaching BARA PAANI (Umiam Lake)-, only word that I could utter was WOW!!!!the calmness of river in spite of the fact that it was" Huge ", that greenery all around…it was as if you are sitting in nature’s arms literally( it  taught me a lesson indirectly as well..no matter how big or successful you become ..its your warmth ,calmness and humbleness that needs to be maintained. )!!!It was like you are so close to her that you can hear and reflect upon your being , your self truly….I tried speed boating there ( I would reveal that I did have initial hiccups as far as water sports and boating is concerned) but that day it seemed as if nature had given me that unflinching courage to sit up and experience the ride…..i was defeating a fear of mine literally ..witnessing the beauty all around and felt soooo at ease( I could then sense that last few years of UPSC process had literally drained out every bit of me for I could not have appreciated such niceties of nature ever before)….I was refreshed!!!!On way back to Assam, we happened to drop in by a traditional resort there…located in deep woods, constructed out of woods itself ..and tastefully decorated with “Khasi” artefacts……As soon as I entered there , I was in my world of anthropology…..seeing the tribal world so closely…i.e ., witnessing the artefacts and the traditional food ….with the view of the BARA PAANI and the pristine blue sky, sun and the dense forests on the other side….what more could you ask for !!!! After relishing the delicacies , we were on our way back to Guwahati and here again I could sense that physical infrastructure development is key to growth and development….the tough and difficult terrain was having just a single narrow stretch of roads…and  it was decked with scores of loaded trucks and personal vehicles….this road was in fact the gateway to the NE and is almost the lifeline of the region…infrastructure development in such terrain is definitely a tough task but nevertheless needs urgent and immediate attention. Next day, I got an opportunity to interact with some of my young college friends from Assam at a seminar….On talking to them, I realized these young fellows were intelligent people ,sooo innocent , such pure souls ….and desperate to carve a niche for themselves. It was so heartening  to see the young demographics of the country so keen on succeeding, on marching ahead ….feels like nations development can easily bank upon this “YOUNG, ENTHUSIATIC DEMOGRAPHICS”( all my economic theories of human capital development was relived and relished)!!!!I was thouroughly enjoying my trip ….as I got an opportunity to see a city about which I had only heard about , met one of my mentors since UPSC days (with whom I had interacted only via telephone and internet but who was my true friend, philosopher and guide), and above all witnessed the beauty of the place. In fact, this was not enough , it seemed ,as I got an opportunity to visit one of my friend’s home..this visit gave me and my parents a snippet view of the beautiful culture and traditions of ASSAM…the simple living and high thinking sums it up perfectly. On my way back to the airport, passing through the dense green  canopy cover …..i was drifted into a world of mixed emotions and feelings….this was the same city that was once gripped in the hands of Insurgency and  I had read so much about the troubled atmosphere there…but today in stead the same city taught me several lessons for life..what simple living is all about, what egalitarian society means…how beautifully traditions, cultures, nature ,spirituality and modernity merges …giving way to a dynamic life…I would admit I fell in love with my motherland all over again….INDIA is beautiful…each state of her’s is unique…each experience of that state teaches you some lessons for life.MAA TUJHE SALAAM!!!!

Comments

  1. well well ...feels like...i been dre too...but no doubt u r hell of a writer ..not to mention 'economic bureaucrat'...nice trip...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too Good..Makes one feel that he is really travelling with you ..the analysis in terms of the known theories is really nice :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. now i can understand the delay :)...enjoying good...these are the best days of your life.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I spent 4 years in Guwahati and have been to other states as well. Now after reading this blog I'm feeling nostalgic! Loved reading it :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Harshika mam,kindly suggest me how to prepare for IAS having economics as the subject of mains..Is it necessary to join any coaching centre for it?If so,thn kindly tell me any centre which provides economics in Delhi?I m an economics graduate and currently doing my masters in eco.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very useful blog Please share some tips for IAS Exam.Thanks.
    Civil service coaching in Vellore


    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Strategy for Anthropology