Strategy for Economics

Why Economics?
My Background in Economics and the  interest in the subject  was the most obvious reason for Economics as my first optional. I am B.A Economics(Hons) from St.Xavier’s College ,Ranchi (Jharkhand) and MSc.Economic History from London School Of Economics and Political Science,London,UK.

The Comprehensive list of the books that I followed was

For both my optionals ,I emphasized on making my concepts very clear and re-read the textbooks.I read all the books enumerated below-different books cater to different portions of the syllabus so I have enumerated all of them…

For Paper 1

Microeconomics
Ahuja and Koutsyansis
Macroeconomics
Ahuja
Mankiw
International Economics
Salvatore basically
and for some random parts
M.C Vaish
Public finance
Lekhi
Dalton
H.L Bhatia
Money and banking-
S.B Gupta
Ahuja
RBI website

For Growth and Development ,I followed Mishra and Puri .There is another book by Lekhi (this book covers the syllabus so it is bit handy)/Debraj Ray-Development Economics .I extensively used Internet for some new developments in same.


Paper 2

Indian Economy   from
Dutt & Sundaram
Mishra & Puri
Uma kapila
Extensive study of the Economic Survey
Union Budget
EPW (Economy and Political Weekly)
Any one business newspaper like ET/FE etc
The Economist



In this attempt which was my second attempt I just followed the basic textbooks that are taught in most of the Indian Universities but in general I also kept myself updated with new textbooks and relevant study materials available on Internet of some renowed Universities around the world.

I took study materials from Brilliant Tutorials in my first attempt and RAU’s IAS Academy ,Delhi for my second attempt.This helped me to systematize my preparation according to the syllabus.

Answer Writing-In Paper 1 , I just ensured that my concepts were clear.Here I would like to admit i felt I had done relatively well in paper 1 but landed up with just 133 marks so maybe I faltered  in some way. Hence for Paper 1 , I would recommend to also go through  the strategy for the same followed by Neeraj Kumar Singh(AIR-11) . In Paper 2- I tried to substantiate my answers with adequate data’s and if possible tried to relate the said question to some recent instance /current affairs issue like this year there was a question on MNREGA rural wage hike and agriculture sector(issue on similar lines were in the news recently) .
Economics is my passion so I never considered this as just a subject per se. I enjoyed my economics preparation and religiously followed the day to day developments in world Economy/Indian Economy through Internet /newspapers and News channels.

Comments

  1. Hello Ma'am! Many Congratulations! Could you please tell us how did you find the study material of RAU's IAS Academy? For paper 2 are they updated? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the wishes.. I would say Rau's study materials were so so..I mean i took them because i wanted to have a complete syllabus at one place and if in case some parts of the syllabus could not be found in the textbooks , i could refer to them .I found Brilliant Tutorials study materials better. As for Paper II , Rau's study materials were sort of updated..but in any case i would suggest if Economics is your optional , then emphasise fully on standard text books.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hello ma'am..congratulations on your stupendous success..

    ma'am could you plz tell me from where did you cover this topic-
    contributions of vakil,gadgil and v.k.r v rao.

    m unable to find this anywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Kavya for the wishes...AS for the contributions of Vakil,Gadgil and V K R V rao ...i used the internet sources and if possible try to get hold of some economic history book as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ma'am please suggest some good book/books for eco history which covers the upsc syllabus well..i also have brilliant tutorials material but m finding it inadequate .

    nd does the last year ques on vakil-brahmananda model come under this topic?..as in do we have to do each of the contributions separately?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kavya actually i will have to look for the book as in my case am a masters in Economic history so that was not an issue with me..i will try to look out for one and let you know..BT is definitely insufficient..just use them as supplementary readings and be dependent on textbook reading per se..Yes , we do need to see the individual contributions.Also all these topics are very inter related..like if you are studying the five year plans you may be bound to come across brahmananda Wage good model or former's criticism of Mahalanobis model and hence you know what it is all about...Just try to interlink and analyse the topics..also make extensive use of Internet as well.

      Delete
  6. ma'am what topics are these previous year questions from?

    why do energy elasticities tend to unity in industrially advanced countries ?

    what are the negative externalities of high energy coefficients ?

    and was the a -sector and k- sector model indirect ques for lewis model ?

    ReplyDelete
  7. @kavya most of the people have not attempted these questions,so focus on other topics which are part of syllabus.these questions were given to reduce the choices.

    ReplyDelete
  8. @ amit
    yes i thought so..eco paper 1 is being set this way for the last 2 years...out of course questions or 'never heard of'ques ..

    m worried whether to concentrate only on the topics mentioned in the syllabus or do some extra work..harshika ma;am please help how to go about this..

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kavya..i would say try to be very thorough with the syllabus first..cause these are some of the topics which are very rare ..In any case if you are done with the entire syllabus , you can easily afford to leave such questions while answering the paper..as you will have many other options from syllabus...But to be on a safer side i would say if possible keep yourself updated on environment economics portion as well...do some internet searches for env eco part or try to get hold of some book for same.

    ReplyDelete
  10. link of the group for those who want to join.Thanks
    https://groups.google.com/d/forum/econsiasprep

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a nice Google group for fellow UPSC aspirants with Economics as an optional..Nice way to discuss the economics related query .

      Delete
    2. Hello,
      My membership to the group has been pending since 3 weeks.Could you possibly help me out?My email id is xlnc.kris@gmail.com

      Delete
  11. Thanks Harshika for all your guidance and support wish u good luck for lBS "naa" :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello Harshika,
    Congratulations for this stupendous achievement !!!
    Believe me, after this feat, you are noting short of a celebrity among the CSE-aspirants fraternity !!

    And yes, I have a question. I believe many like me would have pestered you with this kind of question...

    I am a MBA 1st year student. With my new-found love for Economics as the rationale, I am planning to take it up as an optional for CSE-2013.

    Two things that I would like you to know before answering the ensuing question:-

    1) I have developed genuine interest in Economics...quite a banal statement but I think I can sustain this enthusiasm.
    2) I am Computer Engineering graduate with no formal background in Economics. but I guess there are plenty of good books that I can use to teach this subject to myself .

    Q: Is there anything, such as Vast syllabus , unavailability of guidance etc, that stops a "non-economics-background" student to take it up as an optional ?


    Thanks and Congrats again,
    Ashish Mishra

    ReplyDelete
  13. Just a correction Harshika. Neeraj doesn't have the highest marks in Economics optional this year, as I have scored more than him. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Extremely sorry Kanishk...Yeah its you..i would edit the document ...Sorry !

      Delete
    2. Are its cool Harshika, no need to be sorry or something

      Delete
    3. Score of Neeraj is 379 and as far as i know, Kanishk u hv less than that (165+199)...pls publish ur marks if it is smth different..

      Delete
    4. @Kavya Khanna did u get through mains 2012?

      Delete
  14. You are right Kavya. I just checked. The score put-up on IASpassion.com has been changed actually. The time when I raised this, the score given for Neeraj was something like 351. I'am sure Harshika knows that. Assuming that the score has now been corrected, my score, at 353, is much lower than 379. My apologies, Harshika. Faaltu inconvenience create kar di maine. Sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  15. @kanishk congrats this time u scored highest in economics :)....

    ReplyDelete
  16. Can some body please share the Neeraj Kumar Singh's post on his strategy for Economics. It seems to be deleted from indianofficer.com.
    I've tried searching. Couldn't find it. Any help is appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ma'am can you give me some idea of good coaching institutes for economics?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hello,
    My membership to the group econsiasprep is pending since last 3 days. Can you please help me out?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hello,mam I have requested for membership..pls accept the same..

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hii Harshika mam..you came as a chief guest in my college orientation programme (2014, St. Xavier's college Ranchi)
    Mam in micro which topics to be done from koutsyanis? I am finding myself bit confused how to make notes, how to study well..please help me out..

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thank you so much for having such a nice and interesting stuff for us. I really enjoy your blog and the way you have to describe your content.
    Tutoring Service Lucknow | Home Tuition Services

    ReplyDelete
  22. Mam I to have requested for membership of economics optional group please accept it email id surajkoomaarr73@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. Ma'am could you brief about the procedure that you took to get into London school of economics

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi mam i have completed my 12 from pcm and wanted to go for ba but i am confused in subjects should i go for economics and if i will take it now and also take it as a optional but i am very bad in maths so should i go for economics?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Strategy for Anthropology