This is one of my first scribble in economics

ECON-PARADOX


Though ,I  cannot  claim  to  be  a  “Know- all’ in  Economics,infact,  I am  a  “Know- little” in  Economics  but from  my  periphery  knowledge  ,I  would  like  to  pen  down  an  ECON- PARADOX that  keeps  on  rattling  in my  mind.Last  year,  when  I  studied  POVERTY  and  INEQUALITY  in  detail(browsing  like  a  hungry  child  first  through  one  book  then  through  another  and  even  leaving  no  stone  unturned  to  churn  out the  maximum  from  some  notable  works  on  Poverty  like  those  of  Amartya  Sen  , Jeffery  Sachs  etc…)  what  I  came  to  digest  was  that  India  was  basically  a  Poor  and  Developing  Economy  with  about  216  million  people  living  below  the  poverty  line(having  full  faith  in  my  Govt’s  data)  and  that  Inequality  was  widespread  in  India.I  had  in  short,  made  up  my  mind  to  believe  that  India  is  a  Poor  country  but  is  moving  progressively  on  the  path  to  Development.No  sooner  had  I  made  up  my  mind  on  this  aspect  than  another  question  started  bouncing  in  my  Brain.Then  what  is  the  hoopla  around  8% GDP  growth  all  about?Is  some “ Miracle”  or  “Trickle  down  theory”  again  believed  to  work  in  the  present  Indian  scenario?To  add  to  further  confusion  in  my  mind  ,I  recently  came  across  an  article  with  the  captions  “INDIA  FUELS  WEALTH  SURGE  IN  ASIA”, that  India  is  slowly  producing  more  and  more  of  millionaires  .This  article  drifted  me  to  firmly  believe  that  “India  is  truly  booming”.But  again  on  the  same  day  ,I  came  across  another  article  which  said  that  the  total  toll  of  suicide  cases  of  farmers  in  the  Vidharba  district  of  Maharashtra  is  on  the  upsurge,  that  a  good  number  of  farmers committed  suicides    in  Andhara  Pradesh  due  to  Indebtness.These  instances  utterly  confused  me  and  made  it  still  more  difficult  for  me  to  digest  the  two  absolute  contrary  faces  of  my  dear  motherland  .The  present  state  of  affairs  is  truly  beyond  my  comprehension .Infact, it  is  the  biggest  ECON- PARADOX  that  I  have  ever  come  across  (in  my  one  and  a  half  year  journey  through  the  beautiful  world  of  economics)a  much  bigger  Paradox  than  the  conventional  Economic  PARADOXES.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Strategy for Anthropology